Customer Support Engineer
Customer Support Engineer (Hull)
Are you looking for a new opportunity with exciting prospects and working with cutting edge technology???
Syntax are currently looking for quality engineers to work within RM plc. Research Machines are an award winning, global company who are the leading supplier of ICT into Education. They offer excellent opportunities to work in a rewarding environment with the chance to fulfil your long term career ambitions.
Network Managers required working onsite at schools and colleges as part of RM`s managed service offering. The role is designed to support the delivery of Managed Services; working in conjunction with the 3rd Line Support Team and Support Consultants to provide high quality technical support to each of the Schools. This is a varied support role which offers its challenges in a very rewarding environment. The BSF (Building Schools for the Future) Programme delivers a full Managed Service to a mix of new and existing schools.
In most cases you will be required to be the sole engineer onsite, albeit part of a wider and hugely supportive RM team.
Whilst this is a technical position, the role requires the building of strong relationships with the school leadership / teaching staff and will thus suit someone that is not only passionate about ICT, but is a great communicator, has a proactive attitude, loves solving problems and ultimately gets a real buzz out of going the extra mile to delight customers and users.
The position offers the chance to use and develop a broad range of technical support skills, a good degree of responsibility within a highly supportive environment and the chance to be part of a successful company that invests in its staff and ultimately makes a very positive difference to the teaching and learning of young people.
* Carrying out routine network management tasks including daily backups, anti-virus checking and other housekeeping tasks.
* Respond to incidents logged by the customer. Act as single point of contact for on-site team for both technical and customer escalations.
* Management of problems to resolution for any network and equipment failures covering software, hardware and infrastructure problems as defined by the service level agreement. This may include both RM and 3rd party PCs and peripherals.
* Carry out hardware fault diagnosis, including the repair of IT systems, down to modular level and occasionally component level
* Ensure that all systems used to carry out work activities are updated on a real time basis including the completion of detailed and accurate call notes. Following the communication and escalation steps as outlined in process documentation.
* Know and understand the IT Service Delivery targets for the contract, manage the workload of on-site team, and be proactive in ensuring that these targets are achieved by all.
* Provide on-site assistance to other Schools when required, either as additional resource or as a coaching responsibility.
* Work in an advisory or learning capacity alongside the Support Consultants and Operations Team Leader in providing technical solutions to the customer`s requirements, proactively managing customer expectations and conducting regular review meetings with the customer main ICT contact.
* Of graduate calibre with a track record of providing exceptional levels of technical and customer support, ideally in a SLA driven external customer / or school environment.
* Strong communication and interpersonal skills and passionate about delivering exceptional customer support.
* Experience of maintaining and supporting networks - RM Smart-Tools, Windows XP and 7, email solutions such as Exchange and Outlook, and Internet / Intranet access. Excellent working knowledge of RM Community Connect 4 networks, including installation, trouble shooting and issue resolution.
* Experience of operating and maintaining a multi-server environment
* Ability to coach and mentor other team members, and to manage workload effectively within the on-site team or work alone onsite and build exceptional customer relationships.
* Sound planning, organisation and prioritisation skills.
* A logical and tenacious approach to problem solving.
* Previous support experience in a school environment would be useful but isn`t essential.
* Target focused
* Good time management and punctuality
* A flexible approach to out of hours working
* Familiar with spreadsheet and word processing packages to enable the production of reports and records
RM is committed to Safeguarding and Promoting the Welfare of Children. This post is subject to an Enhanced disclosure check through the Criminal Records Bureau (enhanced CRB check).
Scale of technical environment:
Schools can range from 250 users to over 1700, with 150 to 800 client computers and 4-8 servers (although some have over 20 in virtualised environments. Some sites are linked up together to form a multi-domain environment.
Technologies you will use / be able to pick up:
Windows XP, Vista, 7, Mac OSX, Linux netbooks, MS Server 2003, 2008, Exchange server 2003, 2007, web servers with IIS, IP Telephony, Cisco Voice Gateways, Cisco IP phones, virtualisation - Citrix XenApp 5, VMWare, SAN, Managed wireless solutions, HP Procurve, Cisco switches, VLANs, RM/HP/Apple/Dell hardware, iPads, projectors, multi-function printers, interactive whiteboards, electronic visualizers, voting systems, digital microscopes, digital cameras, touch screen displays, digital signage etc.
* 25 Days Annual Leave (option to buy an extra 5 days)
* Personal & Company related Bonus Scheme
* Group Personal Pension
* Private Medical Healthcare
* Income Protection
* Life Assurance
* Childcare Vouchers
* Cycle to Work Scheme
* Give As You Earn (GAYE)
* Employee Referral Scheme
* Voluntary Dental Plan
* Voluntary Health Cas
Job Type : Permanent
Location : Humberside, Hull
Salary : plus 25 days holiday
Date Advertised : 10 Dec 2012
Sorry, this position is no longer available.
Don't miss out again. Sign up for Jobs-by-Email and get the latest jobs direct to your inbox.